A little bit of structure from me, which makes a nice change, this post is a direct follow up to last week’s work in progress. When last we left this project I had these books finished:
But wasn’t entirely sure what to do with them. I had the vague idea of filling a box with them, but didn’t have enough of them to fill said box.
This is the box in question:
It’s a sturdy but plain box with a sliding lid, and it’s actually a bit of a sore point in this household. Once upon a time we had a beautiful chess set: all the metal pieces were themed for Lord of the Rings, and it was a one-of-a-kind set that my father had owned for most of his life. Now, I loved my dad, but he did have two major weaknesses – the pub, and the betting shop… you can see where this is going, right? Yeah, at some unknown point my dad must have sold the set, probably for a fraction of its actual worth, because after he died we turned the house upside down and found only the box and no sign of the actual chess pieces.
It’s said that you shouldn’t speak ill of the dead, but I’ll be honest and admit that there was a fair amount of cursing when I realised the chess set was gone. I’m still very cross about it but there’s absolutely nothing I can do to get them back, so I decided to try and use the box for something else and try and create a new memory with it.
Anyway, that’s the history of the box and how it ended up in my studio, and after much thinking and a a hell of a lot of work, here’s the finished project.
A grand total of 22 books: half of which are casebound…
…and the other half are simple longstitch bindings
That’s a total of 22 different leathers used in this project, including gloving leather, skiver (thin layer of sheepskin), goat leather, calf skin, and goodness knows what else! One of the aims of the project was to use up as many of the scraps in my studio as possible, so all the leather has been saved from previous projects (or are samples that I’ve hoarded for years – some of those have been lurking around my house for over a decade!) and I’m hugely pleased to have finally used them for something interesting. The Gocco prints were, as I mentioned last week, leftovers, so the only new thing is the paper I used for the pages as I did need to have some uniformity in there.
I’ll be adding this set to my Etsy shop in the next week, but I fear the postage cost might make this one a bit unfeasible for overseas customers as the box and contents weigh in at a whopping 1.7kg!
Read Full Post »