Sorry, I really couldn’t resist that pun! A couple of weeks ago someone drew my attention to a yarn bombing project that’s been set up by The Craft Club. For full details (including how you can take part) you can click here, but the short version is that they are planning to yarn bomb the grounds of Little Havens children’s hospice to create a magical woodland (and hope to break the world record for the largest display of crocheted items while they’re at it).
The idea of creating a magical crocheted woodland really appealed to me so I got in touch with The Craft Club and asked what I could make for them…
We want to create a magical garden scene for the children to discover, and so our theme is Enid Blyton’s The Magic Faraway Tree stories. Any crocheted items that fit in our theme would be welcome… woodland creatures such as hedgehogs, squirrels, rabbits and owls, fantastical characters such as goblins, fairies and trolls, flora such as flowers, cherries, acorns, strawberries and mushrooms.
A pretty broad brief, which is good as I haven’t read The Magic Faraway Tree stories. I had a look online and found some patterns I liked the look of (and The Craft Club attached some patterns to their e-mail too) and got cracking! The deadline is in late August but the summer is looking as though it’s going to be busy for me so I thought I had better get some things made quickly so I could post them in plenty of time.
I started off with the toadstool pattern provided by The Crochet Club and made a couple of purple and cream spotted toadstools, then decided to adapt the pattern slightly to make some different mushrooms with floppy caps.
I then decided I wanted to make a toadstool house so I had a look online and found this pattern. The toadstool house took a bit longer than I had anticipated and although I was pleased with the result I was very glad to finally finish it! A frog (from this pattern) followed, and then I made some mini mushrooms with scraps of red yarn that I finally found lurking in a bag.
What next? Well I really wanted to have a mammal of some sort…and for reasons unknown I decided that it ought to be a mole. I couldn’t find any patterns online that I particularly liked so I made the very rash decision to write my own.
First photo of the mole, and a friend thought he was an aubergine. Right, so he needs some paws then!
The paws were a success, and I finished my mole and he took his place in the line up of crocheted goodies.
There was still something missing though. Yup, Mr Aubergine (a.k.a. Moley) needed a snack. Some very helpful friends translated this pattern for me – but I have to be honest and say I gave up following it (sick of counting stitches by this point!) and just winged it. I think my worm turned out ok, and he completed the set.
On Saturday I posted the parcel to The Crafty Club (and included some random crocheted peas and carrots that I found lurking in a bag – don’t ask…), and hopefully they will arrive safely some time this week.
I will try and get round to writing the mole pattern up properly at some point. It was more faffing than I’d anticipated, so I would be happy for other people to get some use out of it!