When I visited Edinburgh in September a friend very kindly gave me her late mother’s collection of knitting needles. I was hugely touched, and also very excited as my own knitting needle collection is pretty small. When I got back to London I sifted through them and quickly realised that I needed to sort out some kind of storage for the double pointed needles, as those are the type I use most often.
The regular needles will, for now, continue to be stored in the whiskey jars.
I had a look around online to get an idea of what I ought to be doing and liked the look of this tutorial. Now, accurate measurements are something that I don’t seem to do when it comes to projects involving fabric so I just went at this a bit like a bull in a china shop. I kept it simple and used the fabric I had left over from the bag I made in September. Given I didn’t measure properly it came out very well, I did have to undo it and make the seams smaller though as it was about half a centimetre too short for the tallest needles, but that wasn’t too much of a drama.
I love the clean lines of it, the utilitarian style is very me!
A couple of weeks later I decided to make another needle roll, this time for my Knitpro Nova needles which include both DPNs and circular needles. I was feeling a bit braver so I decided to try out a more colourful combination of fabrics (I had bought the fox one that weekend, and was desperate to make something with it).
Here are the two rolls side by side, you can see that the one for my Knitpro Nova is a lot smaller (which was another factor in using the fox and polka dot fabric – I didn’t need very much of either).
This has been a wonderful project for helping to build my confidence with the sewing machine, and I’ve ended up with two useful (and attractive) items. A happy ending 🙂