You don’t really hear much about darning socks in this day and age because they’re usually so cheap to replace. I’ve always been curious about it though (too much reading of classic literature), and recently my interest was revived by Katy of Misericordia. I’d actually got halfway to starting some darning last year when I saw a ‘how to’ in a magazine, and my partner gave me some of his much loved socks to repair… but then I put them away in a cupboard and forgot about them.
I came across the socks again this past weekend and as I’m off sick at the moment and not supposed to be doing anything too strenuous I thought I’d finally give it a bash.
It was surprisingly easy, and oddly relaxing!
The first job was to find some suitable thread. As the socks are quite thick I wanted to use yarn, but none of my yarn was quite the right thickness. So I found some grey acrylic that was a reasonably good match colour-wise and then split it (as you would do to embroidery thread) to get three strands.
Pretty big hole, eh? I got the sock positioned over my darning mushroom (second hand/vintage, from a car boot sale) and started by working across the hole in one direction…
…then started going the other way, weaving in and out of the threads I’d just sewn. If you’re giving this a go then remember to start your threads a decent distance from the edge of the hole so that they’re anchored firmly.
Not bad, even if I do say so myself.
And here’s how it looks on the inside.
So there we go, my first attempt at darning socks! I will definitely be doing this again (there’s already another pair waiting for me…), but I think I’d only bother with expensive socks as it really isn’t worth it for bog-standard cotton ones. Matt’s worn these already and says they’re comfy and he can’t feel any difference so I think I got the thread thickness right, which is especially satisfying.