Not much going on in the studio at the moment in terms of bookbinding, but I’ve had some other projects on the go. First up was a small crochet project that turned into an epic production line. I’ll write about that separately (and possibly try and cobble together a pattern too) but basically I was making hats for babies, a child, and a grandmother. Here’s my doglet looking mightily bemused at me perching a hat on him.
I’ve also been a bit distracted by the reading challenge I set myself for this year – which is to read all of the classics on my bookshelves that I’ve not read previously. To make it more challenging I’m reading them in the exact order they’re in on the shelf, so that I can’t just pick the ones I like the sound of (which would then leave me with all the ones I’m not keen on to plough through towards the end of the year). It’s going well so far and I’ve read four, and to add a further challenge I’ve decided to illustrate my efforts. The shelf I’m working through is stocked with £1 classics – cheap and functional paperbacks that I bought when I was in my teens. They’re fine but they’re not the prettiest of books, so I’m changing the covers (well, the spines) for my illustration. Here’s how it looks so far.
The other thing I’m working on is new merchandise. I’ve been having fun drawing and painting over the past couple of months and it’s about time I actually did something with my work so I’m looking into having a few of the designs printed as notecards, or even as notebooks (with lined pages for a change, as my handbound books are always blank). It’s probably going to take me another month to decide which designs to go with, and then to get them ordered, but watch this space for updates!