Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Street Art #45

A stone bench I took a liking to on the north bank of the Thames, just near London Bridge.  Pity they couldn’t spell pampas grass correctly though, as a gardener this annoyed me quite a bit!

street art_45_01

street art_45_02

street art_45_03

street art_45_04

street art_45_05

street art_45_06

street art_45_07

street art_45_08

street art_45_09

Street Art #44

Another piece by Paul Don Smith (for more by this artist see Street Art #9 and Street Art #33).  This one sprang up on the side of a flower stall just outside Queens Park station, NW6.  I especially like the little tap man in the top left corner.  Many thanks to Matt of The Loki Files for spotting and photographing this piece.

street art_40

Street Art #43

street art_39_01

This is the corner of Elkstone Road and Golborne Road, W10 (just by the mini roundabout).  It looks fairly unremarkable, although you might wonder why there are some small and apparently pointless steps there.

Well, it’s a timeline, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I took a closer look.  It’s mainly focused on local happenings, but also includes bigger events (and world population too).

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

 

 

Street Art #42

Another urban fox to add to the collection.  This one is in Hartland Road, NW6.  Previous urban fox art can be found here and here.

street art_42

Street Art #41

We can thank my friend Kat of Adventures in a Campervan for this one.  She spotted it Griffin Park, Blackburn, way back in August (sorry, I’ve had quite a backlog of street art to catch up with!) and sent me this photo together with a message.

Here’s one for you.  As a maths teacher I love it.  They’ve chosen the data they want to collect and chosen methods of collection and recording, they’ve made a key, maybe they made a prediction before they did it of how many waves they would get.  Practical maths in action!

street art_41

Wednesday WIP

Work in progress today…

image

A dress to impress

Bit of a bold title, but I’m over the moon at how well this experiment turned out so I thought I might as well brag a bit!  Those who read my blog regularly will know that I’m not much of a seamstress.  I have a bash every so often, but the things I make are rarely complicated and are generally quite small.

The idea of making a dress was, therefore, a bit ambitious to say the least.  However I was quite determined as I wanted a new dress and hadn’t seen anything I particularly liked in the shops.  I took a wander down to the fabric stall on Portobello Market and managed to find a lovely wool fabric that I thought would work with the design I had in mind.

Sadly I don’t have any work in progress photos as I was too busy concentrating, but it basically went like this:

  • Step 1.  Have a look at photos online of things that were vaguely what I had in mind.
  • Step 2.  Doodle on a bit of paper and come up with a pattern.
  • Step 3.  Bit of a new experience for me as I’m usually very vague and tend to guesstimate sizes, but I measured myself and then spent some time working out what sizes my pattern pieces needed to be.
  • Step 4.  I cut the pattern pieces out of felt and then pinned the lot together so I could see if the idea worked.  It did!
  • Step 5.  I cut the pattern out of my lovely new fabric and then spent an awful lot of time bent over my sewing machine.  I’m not a great seamstress so it took me a while.  The sewing together of the dress was actually quite straightforward, but what was really fiddly was putting in the zip and tidying up the seams inside the dress.

I know, without progress photos it’s probably pretty pointless describing what I did.  The point I’m trying to make is that this was very much a trial and error process (not too many errors thankfully, but I do think that was more due to luck than judgement!), and that I think most people could do this if they put their mind to it.

dress1_01

dress1_02

dress1_03

Not bad eh?  Here are some close ups of the dress, you can see that I covered the inner seams with bias binding to stop them fraying, as I don’t have an overlocker for my sewing machine.  I also hemmed it by hand to give an invisible hem.  I chose pink bias binding for the inside of the hem so that it would at least look fetching if the wind caught it and flipped the dress up!  The zip was quite tricky to put in as I didn’t have a zipper foot (I’ve now ordered one to use on my next dress, lesson learned!) but I think it’s come out ok.  The only thing I keep forgetting to do is sew on a hook and eye at the top of the zip just to finish it off.

dress1_10

dress1_07

dress1_06

dress1_05

dress1_04

dress1_08

dress1_09

Thus ends my first foray into dressmaking.  I’ve worn the dress a few times already and it really is perfect for me.  Nice and comfy (well you’d hope so, given it was made to fit!), quite warm due to the choice of fabric, and nice roomy pockets for all the dog treats and poop bags I’m inevitably carrying around.  I went to the market on Saturday and bought some more fabric (a lovely black wool with pinstripes – photo below, although the black looks grey there) and intend to make another dress with the same pattern very soon.

 

fabric

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 505 other followers